Security dog handling services
Why use an NSI approved security dog handling company?
Security dog handling services can be used in a wide range of environments to protect people and property. For instance, your business may wish to prevent unwanted incursion on your land or property, evict squatters from vacant property, safeguard a full warehouse or isolate property from theft or vandalism.
By choosing an NSI approved company you can be assured your security dog handler is an SIA licensed (where applicable) individual operating with a dog specifically trained to British Standards in either general purpose security and/or detection.
NSI approved security dog handlers work to British Standards
BS 8517-1 for general purpose security dogs ensuring:
- Appropriate insurance for the services provided
- Robust processes for kennelling and husbandry of the dogs
- Handlers meet strict requirements for health and welfare of the dogs including an annual health examination and a fit for duty certification from a veterinary surgeon
- Use of specified appropriate clothing, equipment and vehicles
- Handlers hold appropriate SIA Security Guarding licences
- Handlers and dogs have completed a total of at least 50 hours of handler training and monthly refresher training
BS 8517-2 for detection dogs:
This part of BS 8517 gives recommendations for the operational use of a detection dog by a detection dog handler when providing passive and proactive detection services, e.g. drugs, firearms, munitions, explosives. NSI approved companies are assessed to the standards related to BS 8517-1 plus specific training for the dog in:
- Passive drug detection, pro-active drug detection, weapons recovery, explosive materials
- Restrictions on the dogs operational hours
- Independent team assessments of both the handler and dog
NSI guarding companies are committed to:
The company you choose may be part of the SIA's Approved Contractor Scheme. This is increasingly becoming the minimum requirement for buyers of security services.
Learn more about security for your workplace
Learn more about fire safety for your workplace
Look out for the NSI hallmark
It’s the most widely recognised mark of approval in security and
fire safety. NSI approval tells you the company is:
Find an NSI approved company