British Standard BS 8243 has been released for public comment.
BS 8243 - Installation and Configuration of Intruder and Hold-up Alarm Systems Designed to Generate Confirmed Alarm Conditions – Code of Practice offers recommendations on the installation, maintenance and management of intruder and hold-up alarm systems. The public comment period ends on 20th March 2021.
The draft standard includes a number of changes:
- The choice of confirmation type as defined in the standard is now entirely optional.
- Some prescriptive methods on how to achieve visual and audio confirmation are removed and are replaced with requirements of what should be achieved.
- The requirement to inform the response authority when using two movement detectors within a single housing is removed.
- Telephone call back as a method of HUA confirmation is only permitted for domestic installations.
- Confirmation procedures accommodate different process for sequential confirmation or where confirmation is decided at an ARC.
- Removal of ARC monitoring requirements which should be included in the new BS 9518 monitoring centre standard.
- Addition of requirements for setting and unsetting an intruder alarm system via a remote device
Comments may be submitted here:
Please note: Online registration with the BSI Standards development portal is required to obtain access to the draft.